University project

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing University project

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I am a final year student of Mechanical engineering in Ireland. I am doing a project aimed to reduce the cost of heating water for a domestic house? I will be generating approximately 400-600 watts of of power which will be used to supplement the power obtained for the electricity. I was wondering what type of heating element would be necessary to insert in the storage tank to comply with the power i am generateing? Will a normal element found in a normal storage tank do? Or will i need a special element?
        Any help you may give me would be much appreciated?

Billy Sheahan
        University of Limerick

Participant

In the US, the average range of wattage in elements are 3000, 3500, 3800 and 4500 watts, and I am sure I am missing a few.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
          Participant

Billy, Sounds a bit Oirish to me, but you said that you would be generating aprox 400-600watts to “suplement the “power” for electricity.
            Are you saying that you will be generating aprox 400-600 watts per day so that that power can be onsold to the utility?
            Or are you saying that you will be generating 400-600 wats per hr to be onsold to the utility?
            Or are you saying you will be generating 400-600 watts that you will be using & using the utilities grid to supply the difference.
            Billy you should be talking to an electrician because he would work out the household requirements & suggest the smallest element to heat the water to an acceptable temp of 60deg celsious.
            Bob

Participant

Billy

To give you a correct answer we need a few more details – you say you are going to produce 400 to 600 watts of power that is great but at what voltage?
              600 watts of power is about what is used in a domestic twin slice toaster.
              Most water heating elements are rated in Kilowatts which is as I am sure you already know 1000 watts, so given that fact you are not going to be able to purchase a NORMAL conventional water heating element commonly installed in a domestic electric water heater with such a low rated element.
              Now having said that you might want to check some of the pet shops out that sell water heating elements for fish tanks – they may have them for the wattage you are playing with.
              Hope this helps.

Selgas Services Ltd
              Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Wooooooops I should have also added the following:

The electrical power in watts of any circuit is the product of the voltage and current expressed as P = VI

Power is proportional to the square of the current in a circuit. If the current is doubled then the power is increased 4 times.

Study Ohm’s Law and I am sure you will find the calculation you need to complete before proceeding further with this proposal of yours.

Selgas Services Ltd
                Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This