Water heater replacement

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Water heater replacement

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I manage an apartment building with electric water heaters that are 10 years old. In the last two months, I’ve had 2 develop leaks. I had both replaced. Would it be a common or wise idea to go ahead and replace all the other water heaters to avoid potential water damage. I feel this is the way to go but I wanted to get a second opinion to convince the property owner if this is a good idea or not. Thanks for your comments.

Participant

10 years life out of a water heater is about the average although many make it to 15 or so years. As a recommendation only – unles the other cylinders are showing signs of water leakage I would suggest you inform the owner and introduce a replacement programme that would ensure the heaters do not exceed 12 years of working life.
          You do not say how many cylinders are installed in the apartment block so it is difficult to forsee what likely capitol costs would be involved with such a proposal. In any case the capitol expenditure is tax deductable to the owner.

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Check the water pressure to make sure that a PRV did not recently break allowing full pressure of the main to enter the building. This could prematurely wear out the new water heaters just installed.

Make sure you drain those new water heaters once a year.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This