Water meter pit

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Water meter pit

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

The wall of our water meter pit is made of tar paper and has crumbled near the top. Thus, the top collar and cover have sunk into the ground. What is the master plumber’s solution to the problem? What is the approximate cost of materials and a reasonable charge for a plumber’s repair?

Participant

Being only a lowly Journeyman, I cannot say what a Master Plumber would do. However, I would remove the old pit and replace it with either a prefab concrete unit or form out a new concrete unit (plus cover).

NtP

Participant

I agree with nick. I would see first if it is the responsibility of the city water works, it usually is.

Participant

A ditto on Dunbar’s comment about whose responsibility it is to fix the meter box. This is more than a question of repair cost…it can involve personal liability, as someone can trip over the defective meter box if it is placed, as it usually is, on the sidewalk in front of the residence. A few years ago I was asked to testify as an expert witness in a personal injury lawsuit resulting from just such a trip-and-fall injury over a defective meter box (I never worked on that particular box). The water company was found liable (not the homeowner). The particular box had a cast concrete cover with the company’s logo and name… Check with your own locale, as the responsibility assignment may be different.

NtP

» This message has been edited by nicktheplumber on 10 September 2003

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This