filtering hot water

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing filtering hot water

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

We have been getting rust streaks on white clothing lately. It seems like the type of streak you get from a small rust particle that “smears”. I want to install filters just upstream of the washing machine to isolate the problem. I bought inexpensive whole-house filters to use on both the hot and cold, but the instructions say 100 degrees F is the max. How can I filter the hot water at the machine?

Participant

Put filter on the main where it enters house after shut off valve.

This way the temperature issue is solved.

That is the normal installation of filter.

Might be time for a new water heater.

Do you drain it once a year to prevent buildup in tank?

» This message has been edited by DUNBAR on 04 September 2003

Participant

Sounds like your washer might be starting to rust, check it out.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Dunbar is correct (and so is RP), in that you should need to filter only the general water supply to your house. If, despite doing that, you still have iron or other water staining problems with your WM, then the problem has got to be with your water heater tank or WM. You may also have other problems with your water supply that an ordinary cartidge type filter cannot correct, such has hard water…in which case you should seek expert advice. You may need a water softener (ion exchange system).

BTW, may major concern about cartridge water filters is the potential for bacterial overgrowth in those contraptions. If you use them, you should check and regularly replace the cartridges. This can get to be expensive.

NtP

NtP

Participant

I agree on that response with bacteria growth….you have to maintain them…….and could you imagine if they were on the hot side……….don’t even want to think about what could happen.

Participant

In reply to message posted by DUNBAR:
                  I agree on that response with bacteria growth….you have to maintain them…….and could you imagine if they were on the hot side……….don’t even want to think about what could happen.

That’s right…in the biology lab, the call them “incubators!”

NtP

Participant

Sediment type filters won’t have a problem with (harmful) bacteria but charcoal/carbon filters can and do. That’s why they all come with a warning that they are not supposed to be used on watr of unknown microbiological content.

Just about any water treatment dealer can provide hot water filter housings and hot water water softeners.

My money is on the rust stains being caused by the washer tub rusting somewhere that the clothes are in contact with. DOnt leave the clothes in the machine after they are finished washing and inspect the inside of the tub with a flashlitgh for any brakes or chips in the tub surface etc..

Gary
                    Quality Water Associates

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This