Well water tank pressure valve leaking water????

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Well water tank pressure valve leaking water????

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Just noticed that there is a constant water leak coming from the bottom of the pressure valve on our 42 gal. galvanized water tank (old system, no bladder). What is causing this? Water pressure on all the water lines in the house seems fine. Is this something that needs immediate attention from a professional?? Help!!

Participant

Sounds like the valve needs to be replaced. Give more information about this valve.

Participant

Valve sits about a third of the way up the side of the tank. Looks like it is connected into the tank via a small pipe. Has a Campbell (brand name) gauge head which shows the psi numbers, and sits upon a small rectangular shape body that has the numbers “F938-1” 100 psi max written on it. There appears to be a hex-head nut on the bottom of this “body”, and that is where the water is leaking from. I put my finger there and it almost feels like there is inside threading, it also stopped the leak until I took my finger away. I was unable to locate a missing piece on the floor, so don’t know if something just fell out of this nut.

Participant

If the valve otherwise works fine, you could try removing it (shut off the pump and drain the tank, etc.), disassembling the connections to the tank, and then reassemble them with Teflon tape and Rectorseal #5 pipe dope.

NtP

Participant

Valve sits about a third of the way up the side of the tank. Looks like it is connected into the tank via a small pipe. Has a Campbell (brand name) gauge head which shows the psi numbers, and sits upon a small rectangular shape body that has the numbers “F938-1” 100 psi max written on it. There appears to be a hex-head nut on the bottom of this “body”, and that is where the water is leaking from. I put my finger there and it almost feels like there is inside threading, it also stopped the leak until I took my finger away. I was unable to locate a missing piece on the floor, so don’t know if something just fell out of this nut.

Participant

It sounds like a air volume control valve……..if so …..replace it…….shouldn’t be more than twenty dollars tops.

Participant

It’s your water pressure guage.

They cost about $5 and you should be able to tape up a new one, remove the old one and install the new one without losing much water if you shut off the pump and drain some water off to relive the pressure in the tank until no more water exits a faucet. Or simply drain the tank down to the level of the guage.

Gary
                    Quality Water Associates

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This