Running toilet

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Running toilet

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Friday night my toilet started filling about every 15-30 minutes briefly. I replaced the flapper thinking that was the problem. Wrong it still does the same thing. I put some food coloring in the tank water to check for a leak and sure enough it ended up in the bowl. This morning I took the tank off put a brand new fluidmaster flush assembly in and figured I was good to go. Wrong answer it started doing it again, I did the food coloring bit and colored water in the bowl. Over a 4 hour period the tank lost about 1/8 to a 1/4 of what was in it. (I turned the supply off while I was out to see how much I was losing.) The ballcock is 3 months old (it’s a fluidmaster400) and now the flush assembly is new. How can water be getting out? I replaced all the gaskets and tankbolts today as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sticks

Participant

It’s the flush valve assembly lettin water past it.

Either the surface where the flapper comes down is irregular or flapper is just warped.

I always use a Mansfield water saver 210 flush valve assembly and they work great for the simple washer at base; very hard to make those leak since they are so simplistic as opposed to a flapper.

Participant

Did you use the right flapper?There are different ones Check to be sure it is seating properly on the flush valve.The flush valve might need cleaning off also.

» This message has been edited by racefanone on 26 August 2003

Participant

it’s a brand new flush valve assembly that came with the flapper. in a response back from fluidmaster they suggested shortening my supply tube that goes into the overflow to eliminate a possible siphon problem. Just did that tonight so I guess it’s wait and see

Sticks

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This