Hot water too hot

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Hot water too hot

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

We have a one year old electric hot water heater at our lake cabin. Last week the circuit on the tank tripped for some reason and needed to be reset. Now we get water that is really hot and I can’t regulate it with the thermostats (upper and lower). I set them both to around 100 deg. but the water coming out is much hotter than that (too hot to touch). Possible thermostat problems? If so is that a separate component or part of the element?

Participant

Elements are what heats the water and those sound to be functioning fine.

I would replace upper and lower thermostats, that is what is causing the problem with your water heater.

If you can, check for continuity on the elements to make sure both are working just for peace of mind that they are.

Participant

Pssssssssssst Dunbar

One should test the RESISTANCE with elements NOT continuity to establish if they are fully operational.

Selgas Services Ltd
            Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Thanks for the replies. What is the typical resistance with an element (assuming that it is just not greater than zero resistance?)?

Participant

Yeah, me too,,,,,,you got me lost on that statement.

All I do is set my tester to Rx1k ,,,, set the needle to zero ohms when setting to test non-energized circuit to give accurate reading.

My GB GMT-18A does not differentiate between resistance and continuity. It just puts the two together:

7.0 RESISTANCE/CONTINUITY

It works though!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This