Acrylic v. Fiberglass Shower Pan

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Acrylic v. Fiberglass Shower Pan

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hello
        I’ve noticed that acrylic shower pans are usually more than twice the price of fiberglass pans. Can anyone tell me the advantages of the acrylic pans?
        Thanks
        Mary

Participant

Acrylic units that I have dealt with in my experiences have proven to have a very resistent hard surface about them that holds up alot better than fiberglass.

I am no expert on these products, but for down the road value, acrylic seems to withstand wear alot better and shows less signs of age over time.

When I have to drill through these units to for setting of faucets, it is alotcut through unit.

» This message has been edited by DUNBAR on 23 August 2003

Participant

Both types of shower pan use fiberglass as a backing material. The difference is in the top layer. Fiberglass pans have a relatively thin (1/64th inch) sprayed on polyester resin “Gel-Coat.” The acrylic pans begin with a thicker (1/8 inch) plastic layer that is molded to shape and then built-up with fiberglass…or the whole thickness of the pan may be molded from acrylic. In any case, the benefits of the acrylic pan are better durability and scratch resistance (and scratches don’t show because of the solid one-color full thickness of the material). The downside is that a complete breech of the membrane isrepair than fiberglass (fiberglass patch kits are available at your local boating supply store), and, of course, the cost).

NtP

Participant

Learn more at this glossary:
              http://www.Tjader.com/glossary.html

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This