Floor drain

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Floor drain

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

What can you pour down the floor drain to stop the smell and keep it fresh. It is not being used so is stagnant

Are you sure there is enough water in it to make the trap seal. Some people us e Vinegar, clorox.pepermint oil, Baken soda and el. dishwasher powder. They might have something new at hardware store.

Art retired plbg

I forgot if you can get strainer off you can buy a plug with a wing nut on to put in and tighten, if you use a plug I would take it out once in awhle and pour water in dr.

Art retired plbg

I agree. Go to http://www.cherneind.com to see what Retired Plumber is describing.

» This message has been edited by DUNBAR on 21 August 2003

The problem with floor drains is that they remain stagnant for such long periods that the trap water evaporates. The best solution is to fill the trap with a liquid that does not evaporate as easily as H20. Mineral oil (which is odorless) is a good choice, or you can use an aromatic oil with a low vapor pressure (i.e. that does not evaporate easily). Or you can just poor water down the drain on a regular basis, say every couple of weeks. Of course, I assume that your floor drain DOES have a p-trap (some are improperly installed without traps), and I also assume that it is properly vented (some aren’t).

NtP

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This