Reliance Water Heater

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Reliance Water Heater

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I have a 1 year old Reliance propane gas 30 gallon hot hater heater. After setting unused over night the water temperature is not hot enough for a shower. I called the company help line and they say the gas control valve was defective and sent me a new one. The new one did the same. Called help again they said the heater was working properly and went into energy save after sitting unused for a period of time. They said the temperature of the water would drop as much as 30 deg. Therefor I need to run the hot water first thing in the morning so the heater would kick on and warm it up before taking a shower. Now I ask you is this saving energy? Is this the way new hot water heater’s are supposed to work? I set the heater to heat the water to 130 deg. which is fine usually. However a 30 deg. drop would put it just above normal body temperature.
        Anyone have any idea’s?

Participant

Call in a pro that knows that brand of heater. But then I think you knew that already.

Gary
          Quality Water Associates

Participant

Talked to people that I bought it from they never heard of that kind of problem before. They won’t let me return with out “return authorization from Reliance. Also called in my gas service man. He never heard of such a thing. Says likely they have a bad batch of control’s and won’t admit it.
            Suggest I swallow hard and junk it.

Participant

Your problem lies with the main gas control valve that has a built in thermostat – the fault is the “differential cut in/cut out” setting of the thermostat. That is in simple terms the number of degrees from initial switch off at set temperature until the drop temperature is reached causing the thermostat to cut in and light up the burner to reheat again.
              This is a common enuff problem and can be easily overcome by changing the main gas valve assembly – not nesessarily with one supplied by the heater supplier.
              It is however, most certainly a job for a qualified tradesperson to undertake as the gas pipework has to be disconnected and reconnected, pressure settings undertaken etc, so don’t try it yourself!!

Selgas Services Ltd
              Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

You are, of course, aware, that changing anything from the equipment provided and specified by the manufacturer voids the warrantee. The manufacturer hopes even the most idiotic judges will understand that the factory did not approve substitutions; so the responsibility of altering the design and any ensuing accidents are solely the responsibility of the repair company that takes on the roll of the dice. Surely any unwitting fixit can make the water heater achieve scalding temperatures. How to prevent EVERYONE from scalding themselves while getting barely hot water is the new trick of the millenium. Don’t J-walk.

Participant

Thanks Harold and Peter for your advice. As I mentioned before I did replace the control valve with a new one the company (Reliant) had shipped to me. Had a repair man look at both the old and new one’s and all the adjustments are “staked” into the casing and therefore can not be fiddled with. I was told I could buy a new control valve, generic type, but that would be half again the cost of the heater itself. Just not worth it and I have pretty much given up on the thing. At least those who read this posting might avoid the same problem by shopping wisely Thanks again guys.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This