removing threaded pipe

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing removing threaded pipe

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      MasterPlumbers
      Keymaster

I live in an old house… There’s a brass hot water pipe that runs from the hot water boiler to a tap, and there’s no vavle between the boiler and the tap. I want to remove the tap and cut off the water supply permanently. To do this, I want to install a plug into one of the unions along the way.

The question is this. How do I unscrew a pipe that’s threaded into a union? There’s nothing to grab on to. Is there a special tool I need to get that will allow me to grip the bare pipe and twist it?

Thanks.

Selgas
      Participant

Why not cut off the pipe right at the water heater and plug it off at the source?

To remove a brass pipe without and outside thread I use an “easyout” tool that bites into the internal portion of the pipe to be removed when turned in an anti clockwise direction thus removing the pipe or fitting without making contact with the outside of the pipe or fitting to be removed.

nicktheplumber
      Participant

The question is this. How do I unscrew a pipe that’s threaded into a union? There’s nothing to grab on to. Is there a special tool I need to get that will allow me to grip the bare pipe and twist it?

The tool is called a pipe wrench…Actually, you need two…one to attach to the pipe, the other to the union.

NtP

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This