Slashed sprinkler system PVC pipe

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Slashed sprinkler system PVC pipe

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • #276778
      Avatar photosh ahn

        Hi there:

        I slashed a PVC pipe when edging for a border. Is there anyway I can fix this without cutting the pipe through? The pipe is 4 1/4 in circumference, slash is about 1/2 ” going through only one side.

        If so, what do I need to buy and what size is my pipe?

        I’ve read about purple primer and cement, pipe repair clamp, etc.

        Thank you so much.

      • #294776
        Avatar photonicktheplumber

          Depends on the use of the PVC pipe. Sounds like a
          1 1/2″ diameter PVC pipe, so I guess it is a supply line. If you’ve cut into a supply pipe you need to cut out the defect and splice in a replacement. You can either use glued pipe couplers and a section of pipe or use a compression-fitted repair fitting. Next time be careful not to weed-whack your sprinkler pipes…


        • #294777
          Avatar photoCan’t I do it myself?

            Thank you Nick – I actually used a shovel to place a border around a garden and damaged it. Yes, it’s a supply line that runs to the sprinkler heads

            Have you used a product called Snapper that fits around the pipe so you don’t have to cut it?

            Thanks so much.

          • #294778
            Avatar photoroslynny

              this pipe cuts like butter with utility knife, or hacksaw you know how easy to cut becuase you already did it with your shovel

              dig it about 18″ around and 6 inch under problem, cut old pipe about 1 inch from problem on both sides, cut replacement pipe aout 1″ smaller than section you removed to make up for bushings or ssplice

              splice the pipe and fill in the hole, stick a hosta on top and your done

              i like to use what they call compression bushings(fernell bushing?) its a rubber sleve with 2 stainless steel hose clamps, very heavy duty, made to last forever. use 2 bushings

              only problem last time i did this was i needed about 8 inches of 1 1/2 black plastic, and it only comes in 100ft rolls so i had to throw out 99 ft and its a big bulky but light roll, only cost 10 bucks or so though

            • #294779
              Avatar photoGarySlusser

                You’re talking about Fernco fittings and IIRC, they are not to be used for pressure lines. You can buy 5′ lengths of sch 40 PVC at any Lowe’s etc. or hardware store.

                The PE tubing (rolls of 100′) can be used if you glue threaded adapters on the cut off broken line ends and screw the threaded by insert (barbed) fittings into them before tightening the hose clamps. That works if you can lift the line some to get a bend into the PE tubing. That means you have to dig up the line more than most anyone wants to though.

                The compression/glued repair couplings made for PVC are the best choice for repair of pressure water lines that can not be moved to allow repair with a regular coupling.

                Quality Water Associates

            Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

            Pin It on Pinterest

            Share This