tubing & compression fittings

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing tubing & compression fittings

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

What’s the best method for getting these compression fittings (LDR Ind) to work with plastic pipe. Also,do you use some kind of lubrication on the threads?

My new frig and the dishwasher both have a clear plastic plastic pipe for the water supply line. 1/4″ for the frig and 3/8″ for the DW. I’ve got a new shutoff with dual 3/8″ compression fitting outputs for these two units. I’ve bought the proper conversion fitting for 1/4 to 3/8.

Seems when I crank down on the nut, the inside farrel doesn’t stay straight. Of course you can only see this once the thing leaks and you take it apart.

How hard do you crank these nuts down?
        Do you use some kind of pipe dope?
        How do you keep the farrel straight?

Thanx to all..

RR

Participant

Crank, no. It deforms the ferrule and that causes leaks. You tighten finger tight and one or two full turns and check for leaks. If it leaks, depressurize and go another 1/4 turn to half a turn and check again. Repeat as needed. Nothing on the ferrule or nut. Perferably an insert in the end of the tubing.

Gary
          Quality Water Associates

Participant

Thanks Gary. I’ll give that a try. The tubing insert and plastic ferrule were a mystery to me until now.

Here’s to not getting wet….

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This