leaking elbow joint

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing leaking elbow joint

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hi

I have just installed a new tap with copper pipes supplying the water. One of the pipes has a elbow connector that has a small leak. I do not want to remove it because there is little pipe on either side to install a new joint. Is it possible to solder this joint when there is still water inside the pipe. If not, how can drain the pipe without cutting into it? Tips on soldering are also welcome

Participant

You cannot effectively solder a pipe that contains water. You have to either drain out the water or block the water from entering the pipe. In some cases you MAY be able to use a really hot torch (acetylene/swirl combustion) to get the fitting hot enough to seal the joints, but that is an iffy procedure, and it only works for pipes that have “some” water in them but not a “lot.”

You should always be able to do the job right, with a little or a lot of effort and common sense. In such cases as yours some people have resorted to trying to tape the joint or seal it with various glues or clamps… My advice is do the job right.

NtP

Participant

I have drilled a small hole right at the fittng solder joint and used a vac and sucked out water and then soldered up hole when I was finished soldering joint.

Participant

You could shut off the main supply .open all the other taps and blow the water out and resolder the fitting.Heat it up and use a little flux ,then solder.Not a big deal.Piece of cake

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This