smelly water

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing smelly water

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have seven faucets in my house….3 of them stink when I first turn them on. …so obviously its not the water heater or the well system. (Seems like all faucets would be the same) One in the laundry room, one (only the cold water) in the bathroom and the oddest on is the sprayer on the kitchen sink. (those(kitchen) faucets don’t smell at all)What’s the deal???? [email]null[/email]

Participant

Its the faucets you dont use all the time, the water lays in there and when you use it it stinks , check out a filter and see if they have them for smelley water.

Participant

The usual cause is a type of bacteria that comes in with the water. It’s called sulfate reducing bacteria but could be iron reducing bacteria also. In some cases it will be manganese reducing bacteria or a combination of the three but SRB is most likely if you have an electric water heater with a magnesium anode rod; the newer the more probably. Another cause is a trace amount of H2S in the water that migrates to the most infrequently used fixtures.

Sanitizing the heater with bleach will stop the problem but only temporarily, but turning the temp up to 140f is a permanent solution as is killing the bacteria.

Gary
            Quality Water Associates

Participant

I should have mentioned that replacing the rod with aluminum or removing it altogther (voids the heater warranty) are solutions also.

Gary
              Quality Water Associates

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This