Pilot light keeps going out on hot water heater

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Pilot light keeps going out on hot water heater

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

40 gallon Rheem gas hot water heater. The pilot light goes out about once a day. I had the thermocoupler replaced but the problem continues. Any ideas? Thanks.

[email protected]

Participant

Sometimes a leak develeps and drips on poilet light and puts it out, have the controls checked.

Participant

Sometimes there is a draft that blows out the pilot. The regulator (the little box that the thermocouple connects to) may also be defective. You could start by replacing the regulator and checking the installation for bad drafts, but that is about as far as I’d recommend going as a DIYer. While you’re at it, make sure that the gas supply has a drip stub to catch moisture and particulate matter, a frequent cause of problems. If you can’t correct the problem with this advice, do yourself and your family a favor by calling in a licensed gasfitter/plumber.

NtP

Participant

I would say that the pilot is dirty and needs cleaning.Sounds like you have a lazy flame.

Participant

Here is a simple solution to your problem – get your head down and look at the pilot burner when it going – is it burning a clean blue in colour or does it have some slight yellow tipping – I suspect it will be the latter which requires a gas serviceperson to resolve for you. Either way the problem is only minor and you should not be up for big bucks for the repair job.

Selgas Services Ltd
                Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This