cast iron soil pipe disconnect question

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing cast iron soil pipe disconnect question

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I need to remove a bad section of 4″ cast iron soil pipe from the bell (correct term?). It has a poured lead connection. What’s the easiest way to remove it without breaking the bell?

Participant

You have to burn the lead out with a blow torch make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy.If the joint is easy to get at you can sometimes drill out the lead but you normally end up burning it out anyway.Make sure the area is well ventilated and be carefull when you pull the yarn out the joint it bursts into flame as it hits the air. Hope this helps, Calked lead joints who needs them.

Participant

Speaking as someone who has had to do what you describe more times than I can remember, I say that the easiest solution is to use a snap cutter to cut out the fitting and install a new hubless fitting and CI pipe, using hubless connectors. Sure, you MAY be able to melt out the old lead and remove the yarn and disassemble the bell-and-spigot pipes, but good luck…

I’ve tried and succeeded a few times, but it is hardly worth the effort. My attempts were limited to my early years in the trade, when I had more enthusiasm than common sense.

NtP

Participant

Nick, CW:

Those are words I live by!. Like yourself, in my job I’m always looking for other/better ways to do things.

Thanks for your help guys; I’ll be trying this in the next couple of weeks.

Tom

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This