toilet waste pipe damaged

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing toilet waste pipe damaged

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

I moved into a townhouse built in 1981. Recently while removing vynl floor to prep for ceramic tile install I discovered a swimming pool under the vynl on the cement slab floor. A futher search revealed that water had been seeping from under the toilet probably for many years.
        I discovered major damage to walls interior from the constant moisture. I will be rebuilding the room. The major problem before investing the money is that the toilet was installed with two bolts into the cement slab and no flange. The pipe is also obviously in bad shape the top edge uneven and has no tapering at all. No clue.
        Any suggestions that will avoid future leakage.

Participant

The main problem seems to be that there is no toilet flange, i.e. the toilet was just set on top of the closet bend (that’s a 90 degree 3′ or 4″ waste elbow designed especially for toilets). Even if the bend comes to a good height at the slab and even if a good wax ring with an ample sleeve is used, such an arrangement will leak sooner or later. Believe it or not, as stupid as this plumbing arrangement is, I’ve seen it dozen’s of times in my repair work.

You will need to install a flange on the closet bend at the correct height to connect to the toilet. The flange must lay flat just on top of the slab or floor. The easiest flanges to use are those that have a rubber gasket that slips into the bend and is tightened by srewing down the flange. These are made of ABS plastic or cast iron. I prefer cast-iron, especially on a slab. You may need to trim the closet bend. There are special cutters for this purpose. My favorite is a Rigid Inside Pipe Cutter. Then, attach the bowl to the flange with the standard closet bolts. Don’t forget the wax seal.

NtP

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This