Toilet Tank Growth

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Toilet Tank Growth

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have black hair-like algae growing in the toilet tank.

How do I get rid of it and prevent it from coming back?

Thanks . . .

Participant

Shut off the supply valve and drain the tank (flush it). Scrub the inside of the tank with a 1:4 solution of bleach/water, and let the walls dry out. Clean out any sludge that may be hanging out in the bottom of the tank. Turn on the water supply and fill the tank. Add 8 oz. of bleach and let it sit in the tank overnight. That should sterilize the tank. Algae should not grow in your tank unless there is organic material contaminating the tank and unless the tank is hardly ever flushed. For added protection, you might want to place one of those bowl cleaners in the tank (they usually release a ble color into the water). Make sure that the manufacturer does not prohibit this, and use one that contains bleach (sodium hypochlorite).

NtP

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
          Participant

PS, Dont use those blue things on a septic or sewerage treatment plant as they do damage to the bacteria therein.
            The ones that hang in toilets makes lots of callouts for plumbers when they are flushed down the loo.
            Bob

Participant

NtP,

This particular toilet did not get used frequently after my 2 sons left the nest. That’s probably when the algae got started.

Thanks for your advise.

Bob,

Thanks for the pointer, but we are on city sewer.

Regards . . .

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This