My toilet won’t flush everything down HELP!!

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing My toilet won’t flush everything down HELP!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I replaced the flapper today, but it didn’t fix my problem. I have to hold the flush button down until the bowl is completely empty in order for everything to flush on down. Also it takes FOREVER for my tank to fill back up. What adjustment do I need to make?
        Thanks!! Cathy

Participant

I presume that your toilet originally flushed well, and that the problem developed recently…that way we can rule out a poorly designed toilet, such as many of the “first-generation” low flush volume toilets.

If your toilet flushes well when you keep the flush lever depressed, that means that your tank ball/flapper is dropping into the valve seat too soon. Some of these have adjustments to make them stay open longer. The chain slack should also be adjusted to take up most of the slack.

If your tank takes forever to fill up, you have either low water pressure, a restriction in the tank supply valve, or a clogged float valve. That, however, would not result in the problem you describe, but it is a problem you should fix.

NtP

Participant

Oh, one other thing I forgot is that you should make sure the tank fills to its working water line (usually marked inside the tank, or, if not marked, the tank should fill to within about 1/2″ of the overflow tube). The tank water level is determined by adjustments to the float that actuates the ballcock valve…

NtP

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This