waterlogged pump

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing waterlogged pump

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Our water pump keeps kicking off, sometimes after 10 min., sometimes after 45 min. Never had a problem like that until we put the place on the market. Is that a symtom of waterlog? What can we do, as strapped owners. do to remedy the situation. Do we have to pay a well driller to pull the pump? The pump is down in the well. so far, we’ve been fortunate enough to get the water started again by pushing the restart button. Any help would be appreciated!

Participant

First, there is no such thing as a waterlogged pump, especially not submersible pumps, which are always supposed to be submerged in water…

Waterlogged TANKS, on the other hand, are a common problem. These tanks have lost their head of air and are nearly filled with water. The compressible head of air is essential for the tank to function properly.

The main symptom of a waterlogged tank is that the pump either cycles frequently or runs continuously when you are using water.

You seem to be describing another problem, however, which is that the pump seems to come on after 10-45 minutes. This would not be a problem if it was associated with using water. So I must assume it occurs when you are NOT using water.

The most likely cause of that problem is that you have a LEAK somewhere in your water supply system.

NtP

Participant

You have checked the non return valve at the foot of the pump to make sure it is not leaking and allowing water to flow backwards back through the pump? This would make the pump start and stop all the time just as if you were drawing water from it in the normal fashion.
            I have struck this problem a few times and it may be worth checking out at your end. At the end of the day it is just another dang thang ya gotta get right with a pumped system – bless their cotton picking souls!!!!!!!!

Selgas Services Ltd
            Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
            Participant

Hey boys, the poster stated that the pump tripped “off” as he also stated that by pressing the reset button he was able to restart the pump. Nick was correct in all but the last statement, Peter Submersables dont have a foot valve they have a non return valve.
              Sounds to me that the pump is suffering from shortage of power or fluctuation of power or worn armature. the poster should check the power availability and or pull the pump out & have it rewound.
              Bob

Participant

Ooops…RSM is correct. I missed the basic difference between “off” and “on” and that the pump had to be “reset.” The pump windings (armature) must be overheating and tripping an internal electric breaker.

I still have to wonder why a pump needs to run continuously for 45 minutes….A properly plumbed and functioning well/pump/tank system should allow the pump to cycle on for shorter periods than 45 minutes. Therefore, I still suggest ruling out a completely waterlogged tank.

One quick check you could perform, if you have a clamp-on type ammeter, is to check the current draw from the pump under load. It should not exceed the amp rating inscribed on the pump housing.

NtP

Participant

Robert

My opologies to us down here a foot and a non return valve have the same function and are often called the same thing. Yep I missed the point regarding the overloading of the motor as well.
                  I agree using a clamp on amp meter to check the phase wire under load would indicate a fault within the motor if the draw off exceeds the amp rating of the motor. Could also be a starting capacitor is at fault.

Selgas Services Ltd
                  Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                  Participant

Hey pete, is that why when you call your missus you say “Aye ewe, comeere”.
                    Bob

» This message has been edited by Robert Stephen Morton on 01 June 2003

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This