Toilet Bolts – too long

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Toilet Bolts – too long

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Avatar photoMalcolm Thomas Churcher

Moved into a new house & toilet bolts are exposed. Bolts are 1.25 – 1.5 inches above base of toilet, making them too long for any retail toilet bolt caps/covers that I can find. (1) Is there such a thing as a longer toilet bolt cap that can cover a 1.25 – 1.5 bolt? (2) Is it possible for me to cut the bolts without uninstalling the toilet? I understand that the best way to cut the bolts is with a hacksaw – is that dangerous for me to try to do while the toilet is in place?

Thanks in advance for your help! I’m an amateur just learning home improvement

Participant

Cut them off with small hacksaw, not dangerest.

Participant

As the above post said, you can use a small hacksaw (if you can find one for tight spaces, i.e. that doesn’t have the “bow” on top) to cut them down. I would add one thing though. You might want to put a cloth or piece of cardboard or something behind it when you use the hacksaw, just so you don’t scratch the porcelain. Speaking for myself, I can try and be careful but I almost always nick whats behind it. Go slow and make short little strokes, unless you can make full strokes without hitting the porcelain. Take your time and you should be able to cut through the bolts fairly easily. Just a suggestion!

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This