moving toilet 90 degrees

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing moving toilet 90 degrees

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

hi everyone. i’ve moved into an old apartment, and am looking to move my toilet 45 degrees, as it points towards a wall, leaving only inches of space in front of it. I may need to actually move the base plumping forward and over a bit as well to do this.

Any thoughts on how to get started? What problems coudl arise from doing this?

Participant

You will have to move water and turn the flange, depends on what kind of pipe you have. and if you have the room to turn, might have to extend pipe.

Participant

i’m not so much worried about the water, but the drain on the toilet. does it have to be at a certain angle? also, they are old pipes, is it going to be a hairraiser to connect new piping to it?

Participant

You should have no problem rotating the bowl 45 degrees. Off course, you’ll have to install new flange bolts in the new position. The problem will be that the tank will also have to rotate 45 degrees, and it will be blocked by the wall. I pressume that your current toilet is set in a corner. There are special “corner toilets” made for such an installation. In about 20 years in plumbing, I’ve installed only two of them. The rough-in dimensions for these corner toilets are not the same as for standard toilets, so it is a certainty that you will have to move the closet bend. They are easy enough to rough-in for new work, but they can be a pain in remodels. In remodels, the job will be easier if you have wide-open access from below (i.e. an unfinished basement).

Unless you happen to be exceptionally handy, this is not a DIY project.

NtP

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This