Bath Tub Drain

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Bath Tub Drain

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have a relatively new (5yrs old) house and one bath tub has never drained well. It is the type of drain that has a lever under the faucet to plug/unplug the drain. Is there anything that could be wrong with the installation of this drain that could cause slow drainage? Or is it more likely the pipes themselves, in which case the problem can’t be fixed as the house is on a slab. I do not understand how this type of drain plug works so I am hesitant to remove anything for fear of doing real damage… Anyone with thoughts or ideas??? [email protected]

Participant

Could be that it needs to be adjusted so it opens more to drain faster.Remove the screws that hold the plate onto the overflow and pull it out ,you dont have to be a rocket scientist to see how to adjust it.You will probably find it full of hair etc.also.Not a big deal.Good luck

Participant

I made an adjustment. Didn’t seem to help. I removed the apparatus altogether and it still drains slow.

Participant

In reply to message posted by n30pc:
              I made an adjustment. Didn’t seem to help. I removed the apparatus altogether and it still drains slow.

If that is the case, i.e. that you removed the plug from tyhe drain and it was still sluggish, you can have only these three problems (singly or in combination): 1) an obstructed or inadequately sized drain line (including trap); 2) an improperly sloped drain line; 3) improper venting.

There are no other causes of a sluggish drain that I know of in your case.

The only one that you can “fix” without replumbing is a clogged drain line/trap. You need to snake the line. If that doesn’t fix it, then you need to replumb the line.

NtP

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This