Boosting PSI throughout house – well water, not city.

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Boosting PSI throughout house – well water, not city.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      MasterPlumbers
      Keymaster

Just moved to a new (built in 1978) house in Atco, NJ.
      I have 2 plumbing questions:

1.) Just got a new refridgerator, that has automatic ice-maker & chilled water, but I have to buy the hook-up kit and use the “saddle valve” to tap into my plumbing under my kitchen sink. The plumbing is 1/2″ PVC, not copper. Can you install a saddle valve on PVC, or do I have to put in a small (1 – 2 feet) amount of copper to attach it (the saddle valve) to?
      2.) As mentioned in “subject” line, the water pressure in the shower is ok, but not as much as I’d like. I have well water. I just had a brand-new “holding tank” installed, and the guy said that it would increase the pressure. I have a feeling that the only way to increase the PSI is to remove the pump (located down in the well) and replace it with a larger capacity one… Is that correct, or can I increase the PSI at the holding tank somehow?
      If you can answer, please email me at: beach-steven@aramark.com.
      Thanks.
      – Steve Beach

As regards question # 1: you can’t use the “saddle” (puncture) valve to tap into the PVC line. Such valves are for copper lines only, and usually malleable/flexible lines.

As regards your water pressure (and from your post I assume you have a well and pump), you may have had an undersized or defective tank, and replacing it may have corrected your problem. However, if you still have the problem, it is most likely due to either occluded (galvanized) or otherwise undersized supply lines, or to water-saving flow restrictors at the showerhead. If you have a bathtub with a shower diverter valve, and if the bathtub spigot provides ample flow but the showerhead doesn’t, then a “low flow” showerhead is your problem.

You sound like an intelligent guy for asking these questions, but your questions about using a “saddle valve” on PVC pipe indicate that you are relatively uninformed about basic plumbing technology. I would therefore suggest that you consult a licensed plumber.

NtP

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This