well water tank pressure problem???

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing well water tank pressure problem???

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I’m having a problem with my water pressure… we have a well with a blue tank in the basement… when I first run the water in any part of the house it comes out nice and hard but then it decreases to a trickle after 30 seconds or so! I have read a lot of the posts related to this topic and have a pretty good idea about the whole cut in and out settings! so I used a tire guage to test the pressure in the tank and it reads 55 psi! now the guage that is connected to the water line that tells me the cut in and out pressure seems to be stuck or broken, therefor I can tell what the readings are… Could this be my problem? if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Participant

Sam ,when you check the air pressure in your tank ,first turn the power off and relieve all the water pressure through the drain valve on well tank,then check pressure ,but also sounds like you need to change the pressure gauge to see cut in and cut out .when you check air pressure sounds like you have a 30 50 switch you should have 28 psi in the tank if not the bladder may have a leak or air valve may leak resulting in a logged tank

Participant

The problem of rapid drop off in pressure that you discribe is almost always due to a waterlogged tank. Newer tanks have rubber bladders that allow the tank to fill with water and compress the air filled badder above the water to maintain a proper “Head of air” above the water in the tank. When these fail, it is usually due to a leak that lets water get into the bladder. the only fix in that case it to replace the defective tank.

Older water tanks depend on a “head” of air above the water that is compressed as the pump fills the tank with water. These tanks are inherently leaky (to the head of air) and need to be regularly checked. At full pressure, most of these tanks thould be about 2/3 full of water. You may be able to determine the water level by condensation on the outside of the tank or by tapping on the side of the tank. If such a tank gets waterlogged, you need to turn of the pump, drain the tank, and open the top of the tank to the atmosphere (you can do this by unscrewing the plug at the top of the tank…usually a pressure guage is fitted to the plug opening, in which case you unscrew the guage. Then reseal the plug (or screw the guage back in) and turn on the pump. That should fix a waterlogged tank. You should also check for air leaks in the presurized tank with a soapy solution (Rigid makes a good one, but a thick detergent/water mix will do). Fix any leaks. And if you have a non-bladder tank, get one.

Of course you should check that your pump cut-in/cut-out settings are correct, but that is rarely the problem.

NtP

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This