COPPER IN CONRETE

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing COPPER IN CONRETE

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

COPPER WATER LINE GOING INTO BASEMENT CUTS THROUGH POURED CONCRETE WALL.SOULD IT BE COVERED AND WILL IT HURT IF IT TOUCHES CONCRETE.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
        Participant

Mailamil. yes it should be protected & yes it will be detrimental to the copper if it is partly or fully encased in concrete.
          Bob

Participant

Basically NO PIPE OF ANY TYPE should be directly embedded in a concrete foundation wall. This includes cast iron and plastic drainpipes…Such pipes should pass through the wall inside of a box or sleeve (you can make your own or used items manufactured for this purpose.. Besides the problem of chemical reaction between the concrete and the pipe, there is the problem of differential movement of the two, from settlement or earthquakes.

NtP

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
            Participant

Hey Nick, you are getting to know lots of stuff, almost as much as Sylvan.
              Do you check out the mpdl email list?
              Bob

Participant

Agreed – protect all pipes through and under concrete or in any other situation where it cannot be readily got at in the future.

Selgas Services Ltd
                Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Nick ,the cat’s out of the bag LOL

Participant

In reply to message posted by Robert Stephen Morton:
                    Hey Nick, you are getting to know lots of stuff, almost as much as Sylvan.
                    Do you check out the mpdl email list?
                    Bob

Nope, I haven’t checked out that email list, but maybe I should…

Hey, I’m just a dumb plumber. I’ve got no special knowledge. I apprenticed with this old German guy, Otto, when I was starting out. I read a bit, and keep up on the UPC and local codes. It’s all common sense and experience “in the trenches.” I’m just a Journeyman. Not a real Master Plumber.

NtP

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This