water heater, dip stick problem?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing water heater, dip stick problem?

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 21 years ago by Avatar photodrliu.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

hello, i recently had several blockage issues at my shower and faucet head of (fairly large) white pebbles reducing water flow. Both shower heads were blocked the same morning and I thought it was just the hard water our city is known to have.

someone told me today it is probably my dipstick in the water heater – i have not had the issue of running out of hot water quickly (yet?) but i was told the water heater is fairly new. I bought the house two years ago, and he had replaced the water heater within the past two years (at the most no more then 5 years bc he only lived in the house that long).

A few questions:

how do i determine it is the dipstick? can i do this without contacting a professional? if it is the dipstick, is this something i can switch out myself (and what do i need to do to complete this) and can i just buy a dipstick at home depot? any and ALL advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
        Participant

drliu. you could get a water sample & get it tested for TDS’s. any water supply above 500p/p/million needs a different anode. If above 500ppm then call a licensed Plumber.
          Bob

Participant

Bob, do you know where I go to get a water sample – do I buy a kit or have to take it too a store? I’m rather new at this…

Does anyone have any advice on my other questions?

Thanks!

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
            Participant

get a 2litre 1/2 gallon container wash it out, then fill the container completely full. send it to a lab that tests water, you want a test that tests TDS, PH, turbidity. there are two others but the important ones are PH & TDS.
              drliu. both problems are related, it is your Anode that is giving you trouble & the short longevity of the HWS is normally a result of the anode.
              Bob

Participant

Bob,

Sorry for the mass questions but I’m rather new to this – how do you know it is an anode problem vs dipstick problem. Should I just eliminate the idea that it is a dipstick problem?

If it is an anode problem and it’s below 500 ppm, is the anode something i can replace? if so – how?

Also, any advice on how to qualify a licensed plumber for this type of job – as a female homeowner, i want to make sure i don’t get overcharged or a job that is anything less then quality. How much do they typically charge? I live in San diego if that helps…

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This