Cast Iron Drain Pipes

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Cast Iron Drain Pipes

  • This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 21 years ago by Avatar photonicktheplumber.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • #276499
      Avatar photoMasterPlumbers

        I have a home that was built in the 50’s and it has cast iron drain pipes that need to be replaced. I’m wondering what the best way is to cut them into pieces to get them out from under the house?

      • #294267
        Avatar photoRetired plbg1

          You can use a sawsall with castiron cutting blade are use a soil pipe snapcutter.

        • #294268
          Avatar photoracefanone

            If you have the pipe disconnected from the plumbing system and need to get them out from underneath the house ,I would use a hammer,don’t forget the safety glasses and a pair of gloves.

          • #294269
            Avatar photonicktheplumber

              In reply to message posted by Retired plbg:
              You can use a sawsall with castiron cutting blade are use a soil pipe snapcutter.

              You COULD use a Sawzall with a carbide or metal-cutting blade on CIP, but that is slow, brutish, and expensive work (you’ll go through many expensive blades doing the work). For the money you’d have to spend, you’d be better off buying a snap-cutter. Of course you can rent them… It would also make the work much quicker and easier.

              The hammer and chisel appraoch is both cheap and quick. As R mentioned, be safety conscious… Such an approach works well if you are in “demolition mode.” None of the pipe you chisel out will be reusable…And you will need a clean cut at the point you wish to tie-in to the new drain pipe…There is where you can use the Sawzall or the snap cutter…

          Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

          Pin It on Pinterest

          Share This