GARBAGE DISPOSAL WOES

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing GARBAGE DISPOSAL WOES

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I HAVE AN IN-SINK-ERATOR DISPOSER. WHEN TURNED ON IT RUNS BRIEFLY THEN STOPS. I`VE CLEANED AND IT ROTATES FREELY. HIT RESET, STARTS THEN STOPES. HELP !!! THANKS MARC IN YAKIMA, WA.

Participant

Sounds like a el.problem.

Participant

Sounds like the motor’s thermal fuse is blowing meaning that the motor is either loading up when running or the brushes in the motor are in need of attention.

Selgas Services Ltd
            Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Okay, how about this one. The other day I accidentally let a shot glass slip by me and fall down the sink as the disposal was running. There is a large amount of glass still in the unit. Could anyone provide step-by-step illustrated diagrams as to how to take it apart? OR. Detailed instructions? Thank you to anyone that can help. Tony Helfrich

Participant

Make sure the unit is off and vacuum the glass out.You might take a screwdriver and a flashlight and dislodge any large pieces and again vacuum and then grind up the remaining small pieces

Participant

Get the name and see if they have web site are go to search and look it up.

Participant

Re: the disposal that runs briefly then shuts down…
                    You mentioned you had to press the “reset” button to get it to run again (briefly, I presume, before it shut down again).

Would you by any chance be referring to the reset button on a GFI outlet?

If you have the unit plugged into a GFI outlet, it will trigger the GFI breaker in the outlet. GFI outlets are not intended to supply appliances such as refrigerators and garbage disposals that have motors that draw large currents on start up.

I suspect that this is your problem, as I have seen it many times. If that is not your set-up, you have a problem with the disposal motor and need to replace the unit.

NtP

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This