Are prefab shower stalls durable?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Are prefab shower stalls durable?

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 21 years ago by Avatar photoracefanone.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,
        I am looking to tear out a crummy shower stall. I wanted to replace it with a higher-quality prefab “neo-angle” base, surround and glass doors. I consulted with a plumber, who is trying to dissuade me from using a prefab surround. He says they start leaking within a few years. He is recommending a base he can buy, with ceramic tile on all sides and a door on the angled sides. Is he correct about the durability of prefab shower stalls?
        Thanks,

Tom O’Donnell
        Urbandale, IA

Participant

Tile with a base is the best but if you want the other one check them out, I think you can get a one piece shower, but check them all.

Participant

Most quality shower units are durable , you also could look into Swanstone shower bases and walls, swanstone is a solid surface product, ceramic tile is good also but you can have high maintenance with grout joints.

Participant

Thanks for the quick replies. I should clarify that this plumber says the door and glass are the parts prone to leaking, not so much the surround, though he doesn’t like that part, either. After a few years of opening and closing the doors, he believes the frames and caulking shake loose and start to leak. Is this a problem?
              Thanks again.

Tom O’Donnell
              Urbandale, IA

Participant

Are all cars the same? You get what you pay for.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This