Enameled Steel tubs vs. Americast

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Enameled Steel tubs vs. Americast

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 24 years ago by Avatar photohj.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

We are building a house and our builder wants us to use enameled steel bathtubs. His upgrade is Americast. He says enameled steel tubs can chip if shampoo bottles, etc. hit it just right. This worried me and I thought I wanted to upgrade to Americast but my research shows they too have a chipping problem. What do I choose?

Participant

I have been using The Americast tubs since they came out and think they are great.The 1 or 2 times they got chipped was from a hammer during construction

Participant

Steel TUBs are GARBAGE period ANYTHING has to be better BUT My personal choice has to be Enameled Cast Iron. I have used “Americast” from the month they came out. This is also a good product BUT I love the finish on CI.

SylvanLMP

Participant

Americast and C/I tubs cost about the same. As an installer I opt for Americast,it’s half the weight. As a consumer I’d opt for the C/I tub, it’ll last a life time.

Participant

I was curious to see if anyone would defend the enameled steel tubs. I am glad to see that everyone is happy with Americast, but prefers cast iron. All tubs will chip if abused. They can also be fixed for a price. Americast, because of its special finish costs a little more to repair and requires a better workman to do it. but otherwise, I have no objections to it.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This