peeling paint on interior plaster walls

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing peeling paint on interior plaster walls

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I have a 2 story brick house approximately 50 years old. No basement. Approximately 8/10 years ago, afer doing some remodeling in other parts of the house, the faux finish in the center living room wall began to crack and peel. A contractor ruled out roof leaks, bathroom leaks etc. He repaired the wall with greenboard, but after a year the cracks and bubbles returned. Opening a foot square hole in the plaster shows previous dampness, but no drips or indication of where the dampness comes from. The damage continues to expand and cannot be correlated to rain, bathroom use, etc. The wall behind the plaster is cinder block.
        I have had several expert contractors, plumbers and builders look at the problem, but no one has a suggestion other than tearing out the wall and exposing all nearby plumbing. I’d consider that if it would guarantee a solution. In the meantime, the damage grows and is threatening some valuable custom murals.

I’m at my wits end!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Confused and frustrated

Participant

is this an exterior wall?

Participant

no, center interior wall about 22ft. long. Damage is near the end of the wall which is closest to the center (entrance hall) of the house. most damage is about midway between ceiling and chair rail, expanding below chair rail.

Thanks for your help

Participant

what is above on 2nd floor?

Participant

directly above the damaged wall is the corresponding wall to a bedroom. No damage there. Opening a small hole low on that wall found no damage or visible pipes. Above the second floor is a finished attic. No water there.

There are 2 bathrooms on the second floor, neither directly adjacent to that wall. One bathroom is in line with the cracked wall, but most of the fixtures are near the outside rear wall, and about 10 to 12 feet from the center problem wall. The second bathroom is on the front exterior wall and has no walls adjacent to the center wall.

Thanks again

Participant

could it be coming from a heat pipe?

Participant

We have natural gas heat. Are you thinking it could be condensation on the ductwork? I’m not sure where the ducts are on that wall.

Or are you referring to hot water pipes? I don’t really know what a heat pipe is.

Is there a specific type of plumber or contractor I could call that specializes in finding leaks?

Thanks for your help.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This