Pin holes in copper pipes

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Pin holes in copper pipes

• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 21 years ago by Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Im doing a project for science fair. Are our local waters acidic? My Dad said he found a website thats sed most pin holes are caused by acidic water. Do u no where a website is? Do u have any info?
        Thanx for reading!

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
        Participant

science_fair_question. Yes most water supplies are acidic try http://www.wssc.com/service/copperpipe.html or get a local authority supplier to give you an analysis.
          Bob

Avatar photoscience_fair_question
          Participant

Thank you very much for responding in the less than 30 min. I’ll try the site. If u have any other info please let me no.
            Thanx for reading!

Participant

I just tried the website and it said this page cannot be found and sent me to http://www.wssc.com. That wuz sum way to start an internet business. Please, make sure that you have the right website.

Participant
                Participant

science_fair_question Many appologies. try http://www.wssc.water.com/service/copperpipe.html see wot you get when you don’t add water.
                  bob

» This message has been edited by Robert Stephen Morton on 03 March 2003

» This message has been edited by Robert Stephen Morton on 03 March 2003

Participant

Thanx a lot, Nick Hydro. It was a big help. If u have any more infp or websites please reply.
                    Thanx for reading

Participant

Robert Stephen Morton, when I added water i got a lot of useful info.
                      Thanx for reading!

Participant

Try any of the copper pipe producing companies IMI-YORKSHIRE WEDNESBURY ETC they all know of the problem its caused by small traces of carbon left in the pipe in manufacturing during the anneling process from the lubicating oil.I have had personal experience of this on sites and in my own home.The carbon reacts with the water and pin holes appear this can happen very quickly ie. in 6 to 8 months.Hope this helps Colin 47 years in the plumbing game.

Participant

it helped a lot cwmorris!

Participant

Pinhole leaks are very rare in copper pipe inatallations. In fact, I have nerver encountered a true pinhole leak in properly installed copper pipe in my 30+ years of plumbing un the USA.

I HAVE encountered such leaks in BRASS pipe installations, mostly in so-called “yellow brass” (as opposed to “red brass”) pipes. This is allegedly due to the leaching of zinc from these pipes. I presume that this is a problem because brass is an alloy of copper with zinc. Pure copper pipe should not present this problem, though as a poster has said there may be problems relating to the carbon structure in annealed copper pipe…even if I’ve never seen it…

Participant

Pinholes may also occur due to phosphate inhibitors that the utility companies use to try and keep the solids in solution. It is not done much any more, but a few years ago it was done and it started a corrosion that cannot be stopped. That is why you find pinholes in geographically concentrated areas. No one will admit to it yet, but lawsuits have been filed, I guess we will just have to wait and see what the courts say.

Participant

kquinn. Are you talking about Alum as a floculating agent? or what other phosphates?
                                If you are talking about alum, It has been my long held view that it is a conglomerate or any mixture of thse things including alum that causes corrosion, as discussed in the link I posted.
                                Bob

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This