How many pipe hangers are needed?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing How many pipe hangers are needed?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I had the copper rerouted from in the slab through the soffet between the 1st floor ceiling and the second floor. I am wondering the piping is supported sufficiently. The greatest length of any unsupported span is about 15 Feet, consisting of 10feet of L gauge 3/4″ copper with five feet of soft rolled connected with a 45 degree fitting. The next largest span is a nine foot length of soft rolled 3/4″ L gauge copper.

Does this sound allright or should some sort of support be configured. I guess my question is how many feet should the pipe be supported. I don’t want to give my plumber unwarranted grief. Thanks.

Participant

3/4″ should be hung every 6 FT. Soft copper is not used in our town except in the fround.

Participant

Tired plbg,you need spell check.”fround?”

Participant

Thanks. I see by cutting just another two holes in the drywall ceiling, I can screw a block to the joists and tie it down.

Participant

Clip all the 3/4 copper both hard and soft rolled at the same minimum spacings – because it is “soft” copper it is not treated any differently than normal copper pipe lengths.

Participant

Every floor joist it touches should have a clip

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia.
                  Try visiting ….
                  Macadamia nuts and Aussie productsProstate cancer kills 2600 per/year in AustraliaEcommerce books

Participant

All your comments are greatly appreciated. They help me to realize what is going on so that I can avoid proglems down the road and meanwhile avoid giving my plumber any uncalled for grief.

After the soft copper was threaded through running though core holes in joists/beams, which was very difficult as the cores were slightly off center which made it tight, sythetic grey inserts were fitted around the copper and then pushed up into the holes. Because the pipe was tight against the wood, the insulators had to be knocked in with a hammer. A third of the holes have no isolators, since the pipe was so tight against the wood.

Is the absence of those isolators likely to cause a rupture from the wood and copper rubbing?(I know that it can contribute minutely to the transfer of water noise, something that does not seem to be a problem.) Thanks.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                    Participant

Paperhangman. Grab a silicon gun & pump silicon into each hole to stpo any rattles.
                      Bob

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This