Soldering 4″ cast iron tolet flange onto cast iron pipe

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Soldering 4″ cast iron tolet flange onto cast iron pipe

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

O.K., I’ve got the old broken flange off the pipe and ready to install the new one. The lead that is used, is it 100% lead or a mix of lead and tin? What’s the best way to milt the lead? Large soldering iron, torch using a ladel? and last question should the pipe and flange be heated before pouring in the hot lead. And yes once I do this and another, then I’ll have two under my belt. Thanks!

Participant

First thing is get a flange 2″ deep, square the holes with the wall, get some oakum and yarn it in and pack it tight and leave about 3/4″ space from top of flange down in the joint, melt the lead in a laddle and make sure you have a laddle full and pour it in joint and let it cool for a couple min. and the take caulking irons and caulk inside and out side of joint. Go to http://www.google.com and ask them how to pour lead joint.

Participant

Oh
            I forgot use pure lead no solder.

Participant

Thanks retired plbg! That’s just what I needed to know. I now have the new flange, 4 pounds of pure lead and the plant fiber packing. I have a ladel and plan on using my Coleman cooking stove to melt the lead assuming it will get hot enough. One thing that I’m not sure about is what a cauking iron is? Is this a heavy duty electric iron? Thanks again for any help.

Participant

Sounds like you could use a plumber.Why dont you call one and get it done right the first time.Tired plbg. will just get you in trouble.

Participant

In reply to message posted by thunderchild:
                  Thanks retired plbg! That’s just what I needed to know. I now have the new flange, 4 pounds of pure lead and the plant fiber packing. I have a ladel and plan on using my Coleman cooking stove to melt the lead assuming it will get hot enough. One thing that I’m not sure about is what a cauking iron is? Is this a heavy duty electric iron? Thanks again for any help.

Participant

In reply to message posted by thunderchild:
                    One thing that I’m not sure about is what a cauking iron is? Is this a heavy duty electric iron? Thanks again for any help.

Caulking irons are beveled chisels that are used to tamp the lead into the hub. There are 2 types, “inside” and “outside.” There is also a “yarning” iron that is a flat edged chisel, that’s used to tamp in the oakum “yarn,” which goes underneath the lead. If you don’t want to pur molten lead, you can use malleable “lead wool.” It’s expensive, hard-to-find, but works pretty good.

BTW, I haven’t bothered to pour lead for almost twenty years, though I still have my old lead pot and furnace and some other nifty antique gadgets that let you do horizontal joints. The fact is that with compression fittings you can make just about every joint in drainpipe, including retrofits to bell-and-spigot without having to resort to oakum and lead connections.

Participant

Thanks Nicktheplumber for the info. and Jomeister……thanks for nothing!

Participant

Thunderchild,you are more than welcome

Participant

The new cast iron flange is now finished. The Coleman camp stove worked just fine along with the stainless steel bowl that I used to melt and pour the lead. I also had a tool that worked great in compressing the lead along the inside of the flange and the cast iron pipe. Only problem is that now the toilet faces the wrong direction. I have to crawl over the tank to have a seat. Maybe I should have called a real plumber like jomeister. Yeah sure in your dreams.

Participant

Just think and you did not have to use your “heavy duty electric iron.”How amazing.Bet you think you are a plumber nowTSK TSK. You must be related to tired plbg.

» This message has been edited by jomeister on 03 February 2003

Participant

Yes pretty much but I’m no expert like you. You know what an expert is don’t you? “X” is an unknown and “spert” is a drip under pressure, so you must be and unknown drip under pressure.

Participant

ITS plain to see you arent a comedian either.

Participant

By the way,thunderchicken,did your folks have any children that lived?

Participant

Thunder chicken is just one more reason that abortion should be legalized.I heard when he was born,the doctor slapped his mother

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This