2 tap problems

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing 2 tap problems

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hoping someone can help here:

1 In my shower when I turn on the cold water tap it makes a high pitched whining noise and I have to keep fiddling so it stops. I’ve just had the washers replaced in this tap.

2 When I turn my cold tap on in my hand basin the water starts coming out then almost immediately the pressure drops right back and makes a bit of a thumping noise then as I continue to turn the tap it is ok again. This tap is new and was ok for a while but has just started doing this.

Thanks for your help.

jensee. Sorry to say this but you or someone in your house is heavy handed when turning the taps off. You sound as though you come from Australia so I would suggest you get a Licensed plumber to supply & install Ceramic seated taps.
      Bob

Robert – Thanks for your reply. I’m a bit puzzled though as to why if I’ve had washers replaced and new taps put in, that I’ve got these problems occurring since then. You’re right, I was heavy handed before I had this done. What’s so good about ceramic seated taps that would fix my problem?

jensee, ceramic seats are non rising& are either on or off.
      your jumper valve taps are rising stem & if you have had the seats reseated, did you do them yourself? and were they done with a tapered type reseater or a parallel or Hydroseal type reseater?
      I have had ceramic seats in my own home since 1986 & never had a leak.

Bob

In reply to part #2 pull of your supply line flush it and check for obstructons. I usualy use a bucket under the sink with the supply line still hooked to the shut off valve. Then I back flush through the faucet into the bucket as well. Check for flow if its good hook it back up. Don’t forget to clean your areator screen.

Hey Rooster, what jensee is describing in part 2 is the washer worn down till it goes down past the seat, thereby when the tap is turned on pressure comes out because of build up but because the valve stem & part of the washer is down past the seat it vibrates or thumps until the valve raises past the seat & then he has pressure & flow.

This is almost always caused by home handymen reseating their own taps with handyman tools & over zealous turning off of the tap. In USA you call them Faucets.

Mr jensee should call a licensed plumber & consider Ceramic seats.
      Bob

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This