Frozen Dishwasher Drain

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Frozen Dishwasher Drain

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author

I have completed the installation of my new dishwasher, including getting permits and running a new hot water line to the opposite end of the kitchen for the sink. The inspector said it was perfectly acceptable to run “radiator hose” for the drain. The dishwasher is about 12′ from the sink. The drain is run through a crawlspace under the kitchen. How can I keep the “radiator hose from freezing? Since the run is so long, the drain hose never completely empties between cycles. The crawlspace is insulated, however it is a stone foundation and brick floor. Can I use the pipe heaters (like an extention cord) or would this damage the hose? Thanks for any responses.

Participant

That is an allfull long run for the pump. Get a heat tape with a Thermostat on it.

Participant

let me get this straight, after you rinse your dishes off in the sink you have to walk 12′ to put them in the dishwasher?

Participant

where is the fridge, out on the front porch next to the guy with the banjo? sorry i couldn’t resist

» This message has been edited by robertgf on 28 January 2003

Participant

If it were me, I would “T” off the sink drain in the crawl space and run a new drain line to under the dishwasher. If this is not an option I would super insulate the 12′ of hose before using the heat tape.

Participant

Thanks for the replies…most of them anyway. The kitchen is galley style. It is about 6′ 20′ with the sink in the middle of an end (6′) wall. Since there are cabinets are on both sides, the only spot where a dishwasher door can open fully is across from the entrance. BTW, the fridge is next to the dishwasher. The freezer is on the front porch between the guy w/ the banjo and the hound dog

Participant

Why don’t you forget the heat tape and heater hose and use a piece of galv. pipe or copper pipe and insulate it with regular pipe insulation?Heat tape can fail.You can use the hose for your inlet and outlet connections to the pipe.Just my two cents worth.

Participant

kind sir, i was only kidding about the banjo guy, just seemed like a long way to go w/ dirty dishes. here’s a thought, since the crawl space is insulated, why don’t you find a way to get some heat in there maybe open the crawl space to the basement, this will acomplish two thing 1 you’re kitchen floor above the crawl space will be warmer, 2 you could then run a seperate drain line w/ a trap, through the crawl space ( no need to worry about freezing since there is heat in there)

Participant

thanks for being a good sport

Participant

Actually Robertgf you forgot #3, Higher utility bill.I like racefanone’s reply.The heat tape idea sucks big time.

Participant

one day it’s going to get real cold, and that galv. or copper pipe he installs, insulation or not will freeze then he’s going to be asking you guys what to do. a sightly higher fuel bill is’nt going to seem like such a big deal then

Participant

That one day will never come if he insulates the pipe correctly,the utility bills will always come.Thats what insulation is for,you are begining to sound like tired plbg,think about it.Anyway one piece of pipe would be a hell of alot cheaper then monthly utilities.

Participant

i’ve pulled much insulation off frozen pipes my friend, what happened there? in my opinion insulation only works when it’s used to keep heat from escaping. every customer that i’ve convinced to do it my way has never had to call me back for frozen pipes. ’nuff said

Participant

hey sloppy jomeister, let’s test you’re IQ, why does heated water freeze faster than cold? as ted knight would say “well i’m waiting”

Participant

Exactly my point put insulation on the pipe and the heat wont excape ,therefore it wont freeze.If you want to get into name calling,I can do that too,you *******

Participant

mmmmmm, ya didn’t answer my question sloppy jo

Participant

Are you absolutely sure hot water freezes faster than cold?What do you have for proof?Better re- think that.I’m waiting too.Lets hear some other responses. How long you been plumbing?

Participant

It doesnt freeze faster.Now lets hear your reply as to why you think it freezes faster,I answered your question ,now you answer mine( bet I heard your reply from a thousand rookie wanta b’s before.)Take it away big man

Participant

this past week i received (5) frozen pipe calls, all were frozen hot pipes, except (1) it was a cold water pipe in the garage, no hot water pipe. there are a couple of theories i have my favorite of course. how are you replying so fast this must be on real time

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                                            Participant

Not being hard to get along with but why on earth would any sensible person want to live in a refrigerator anyway?
                                              Bob Morton from sunny North Qld Australia.

Participant

there are two theories that i know of (1) is that when you heat water you liberate some of the entrained air ( i hope i’m saying this right) in the water, this air acts as an insulator, therefor heated(not hot) water will freeze faster. the other which i don’t favor is that the increase in temp causes the water to move around allowing the latent heat to leave faster, go to go i’m taking my kids to the rv show we’ll continue later peace & love

Participant

Therefore heated (not hot) will freeze (quoting you) faster,you said hot water would freeze faster,now you say heated,not hot water will freeze faster.I rest my case.Dont change on me now.

Participant

Robert,you nailed yourself big time,open mouth,insert foot

Participant

Mr.Morton, How about shiping some of that sunshine my way?(Joe in Nebraska)

Participant

i stand corrected, what i meant to say was not ONLY hot, if you take (2) containers 1 cold water & 1 hot water and put them out on a cold day the hot will freeze first & no i haven’t tried it but if any body does my money is on the hot

Avatar photo[email protected]
                                                        Participant

two open containers, one hot and one cold placed on the porch (equal amounts) the hot will freeze first because it will evaporate a lot of its water into steam and then it will cool,freeze faster than the other container full of cold water. Learned that one on Captain Kangaroo!

Participant

thanks dude i was begining to doubt myself, good old capt. kangaroo

Avatar photojomeister
                                                            Participant

If you insulate them properly,which one will freeze first? Be careful,think about it .Remember insulation holds heat in.The proper insulation makes the difference.

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This