Toilet bowl water dissappearence

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Toilet bowl water dissappearence

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

We have a NEW two storey home with three briggs 1.6 gal toilets that over a two day period with no usage the water in the bowl drains or evaporates down to a unuseable water level. We do live in a high wind area but this process seems to occurr when there is no wind. Any idea what may be happening? possible solution?

» This message has been edited by TROY ZELISKO on 26 January 2003

Participant

If it does it in all 3 toilets then some thing is wrong like lack of venting, are the tanks filling up to the mark, better have a Plbg. check it out.

Participant

Is the little 1/4″ tube in the overflow, not way down because it will syphon out tank, stick it in the hole until you see it come out then stop, that fills up your trap.

Participant

Youhave not made it clear whether the water level is going down in the tank or in the bowl. the difference is important.

If the tank level is falling, water is leaking from the tank to the bowl. The only place that this can occur is through the flush (ball or flapper)valve, or (very unlikely) through some kind of siphonage from the tank into the overflow pipe.

If the bowl level is falling, and the bowl is not cracked, there are only two ways this can happen. 1) simple evaporation; and, 2) a vacuum in the waste line that sucks water out of the bowl. Item #1 would take many days or weeks to occur. Item #2 implies faulty venting.

Participant

tired plbg, give it up man, your replies leave alot to be desired.

Participant

In reply to message posted by TROY ZELISKO:
                  that over a two day period with no usage the water in the bowl drains or evaporates down to a unuseable water level.

OK…in my previous response I wasn’t sure if the water level was falling in the bowl or the tank…I missed comment that it was from the bowl. I was misled by your comment that the water in the bowl drains to an “unusable water level.” I think of the “usable” water to be in the tank and used for the flush. In the old days, with 3-5 gallon flushers, you could actually flush stuff out of a dry bowl with a full tank above. You can’t get away with that with the 1.6 gallon Federal Flushers…

Participant

HI SYLVAN.What happened to Nick Hydro?Iam sure they would let you back on this site if you behave yourself

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This