Hot water delay

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Hot water delay

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I just purchased a new 3 level townhouse, and everytime I turn on the hot water it takes 15-20 seconds before the water get’s up to the temperature. Upstairs in the bathrooms it takes even longer: 30-40 seconds. Is this normal? I looked at the water pipes coming out of the boiler, and none of them are insulated. Would it help if I wrapped some insulation around the hot water pipes in my basement (obviously I’m not gonna tear into my walls) Thanks!

Rob

Participant

It is likely a combination of pipe size, pressure and distance from the boiler and if your pipes are galv. they could be clogged.
          Check out this website which may offer a solution: http://www.chilipepperapp.com/

Participant

Being a new home I would say you dont have galvanized pipes.What you need is a circulating pump installed on the hot water side.Insulating pipes always helps some ,but in your case ,not a lot.Contact a plumber in your area and ask about installing a hot water circulating system.Keep us posted.

Participant

Hey bozo Wait til tired plbg.reads my reply,I bet he will say that the problem is do to a loose or” swellow ” washer.LOL LOL

» This message has been edited by oscar on 21 January 2003

Participant

I would have to side with Oscar on this one – a pump connected to a circulating system would allow hot water to be available at every outlet point as and when required.

The current delay is simply that when you open a tap the water begins to flow and it just takes time for the hot water to come from the heating source to the outlet tap – that is your delay time.

To overcome the problem have a Plumber install a ring main pumped system as Oscar has suggested.

Swelled washers have no bearing on this problem lol

Selgas Services Ltd
                Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This