Curious left-hander

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Curious left-hander

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

What is the reasoning behind the convention that the hot water tap is always connected on the left?

Participant

i believe it’s because when plumbing was first installed indoors there was no hot water only cold, people are predominatly right handed hence the spigot went on the right, when domestic hot water was introduced there was no where to go but left

Participant

Plus people all over the world go for the cold on the right automaticly, so why stuff things around and create problems

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia.
            Try visiting ….
            Macadamia nuts and Aussie productsProstate cancer kills 2600 per/year in AustraliaEcommerce books

Participant

Being a leftie, I noticed that without thinking, I reach for the left tap whether I need hot water or not. So, over a lifetime I’m wasting energy, not to mention a few bucks. I was wondering if the tradition of putting the cold on the right was deliberately established to be more efficient, considering most people are right handed and automatically reach for the right tap. ( It’s obvious I have too little to do)

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
              Participant

It was introduced during the war by the Germans.
                its a blonde thing! & easy to remember – hot on the left cold on the right and colours the same as mariners use.
                It only causes problems when the Plumber is roughing in the Plumbing on the other side of the wall.

Bob

Participant

thats why they make moen faucets, and yes i am blonde or used to be before male pattern baldness reared it’s ugly head

Participant

Way to resolve the whole dang tooting problem is to install single lever faucets that mix the water both hot and cold – that way it don’t matter which way round ya have the pipes at rough out stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    The lever goes left for hot and right for cold, but ya can easilty change the indicator disc to whatever side you choose.
                    Life has to be easy sometimes.

And Robert would ya like to comment how come the tap locations were the same before both World Wars??

Selgas Services Ltd
                    Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                    Participant

Peter. The Germans were involved in both wars as were the Ausies & Kiwis.
                      Man you must be old to know that the hot was on the left prior to 1914. Are there still houses built in Kiwiland of that vintage? In Bowen we had a couple of Cyclones that cleaned the old ones up.
                      But it was definatly the Germans cause they got the blame for everything until the japs came along.
                      The fella that posted the question says that he was a leftie, does he know that in Australia he would be called a kaki handed. Peter do you know where that term originated from?
                      Well it originated from the Indian custom of wiping their bottom with their left hand – hence kaki hand. so if you are left handed Indian you would have to eat with your kaki hand. not on – this is the reason that there is not many left handed Indians.
                      That is a “Fact”
                      Bob

Participant

yeah but what if they were washing the diaper in their tub? what hand do they eat with then?

Participant

But they didn’t have diapers or tubs

Participant

Boy oh Boy this is getting grubby lol so I better just say thanks for the info and leave it at that – awwwwww heck naw I can’t we call left handers “cack handers” jokingly referring to those poor folks what are wrong handed!!!!
                            Kaki is a colour and has is background from the uniform colours of NZ, Aust, and British army personel in both World Wars.
                            Cheers and lets wipe up this mess lol.

Selgas Services Ltd
                            Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Remember guys,lefties have” rights”

Participant

When I posted the original question I failed to consider the law of unintended effects, i.e., the possibility of creating a monster!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This