Removal of Price Pfister cartridge

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Removal of Price Pfister cartridge

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have a single lever tub/shower faucet from Price Pfister. It is approximately 19 years old. We have a hard water.

I am trying to replace the cartridge. I have removed the handle, an escutcheon, and a holding cap. Many instruction manuals says, just pull it straight out.

I can’t. It will not move. I have tried to pull with pliers, wisegrips, but no luck.

Any suggestions as how to remove the old cartridge?

Participant

I had the same problem a few years ago. The problem is the water calcification around the body of the cartridge.
          After fruitless questioning, the only way it worked for me was as follows:
          1. Shut the main water off, and drain the shower head/pipe as much as you can.
          2. Clamp a channel lock plier around the stem of the cartridge. If you can screw in the center of the stem a large washer for the needed leverage anchor point, it would be better.
          3. Get a carpenter lever with a notch at the end. Place the notch behind the pliers (or the washer). Place the fulcrum point of the lever on the shower wall.Put a piece of wood under the lever to protect the tiles.
          4. Apply steady pressure on lhe lever to pull on the cartridge. Do not apply excessive pressure. You will feel a small give on the tile and sheet rock behind the lever. That is enough force on the lever.
          5. Take a blow torch and carefully heat around the cartridge housing. Be careful to apply heat only intermittently, toavoid damagaing the works!
          6. Most important: you are not trying to melt anything with this process! You are only going to loosen things up. The secret is the
          application of STEADY LEVER PRESSURE for a long time, by exploiting the principle of “creep” . It could take 10 minutes or more. But then you should feel the cartridge slowly moving out, and finally popping out.
          Good luck.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This