another prv problem leak

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing another prv problem leak

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

brand new electric reliance 50 gal water heater, prv drips, changed valve 3 times guy at store where I got water heater at says that has to be the problem. Water is not hot, if you turn it up for a decent shower it leaks more. City water presure to house not great let alone too much. Just drips I change valve stops for a day or so. Then starts again. Maybe a cup a day. Tried opening it and shutting it to see if ? was in it. Confusing me and annoying too. Any help would be great Thanx D

Participant

Perhaps this will enlighten you some – the purpose of the TPR valve is to allow expansion of the water when it is being heated to take place. Under normal conditions when the element is not heating the water will not be discharging from the relief valve. When the thermostat calles for heat and the elements heat up – the expansion of the water passes through the TPR valve to waste.
          If you fit a cold water relief valve on the cold line to the cylinder it should have a rating of no more than 70% of the maximum setting of the hot water relief valve and this will allow cooler water to be run to waste in times of heating up.
          Fitting a pressure limiting valve to the inlet supply to the cylinder will ensure that no excessive pressure is applied to the system and cause problems with the valves.
          Hope this clarifies some of your concerns and explains the purpose of the valves in simple enuff terms for you.

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This