“stuttering” pipes in new home. any help?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing “stuttering” pipes in new home. any help?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

We have lived in our home for 6 months and it just turned 3 years old. It is a single story block house on a slab, city water w/ so-so water pressure. We have single handle, one direction, Moen faucets in our showers/tubs. When the waters is turned on to blend hot and cold the pipes/fuacets , “stutter” (sounds sike, ch, ch, ch, ch, ch, ch, very quickly). It can be stopped by turning the water to cold and slowly bringing it to the correct position for the temp you want, but if any other water in the house is turned on it starts again, and sometimes it starts again with no other water being turned on. It may also start again if you try to add more hot to the mix. We have a whole house water filter and a water softener, but bypassing these does not help. Is it the faucets? or could there be something else causing it? I am not opposed to changing the faucets, but only if I am sure they are the problem, and if there is no way to adjust them. Any advise would be appreciated.

http://www.totallongdistance.com

Participant

You could have a loose washer in a valve or fct

Participant

go here http://users.bigpond.net.au/bungie/hammer/

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia.
            Try visiting ….
            Macadamia nuts and Aussie productsProstate cancer kills 2600 per/year in AustraliaEcommerce books

Avatar photototallongdistance.com
            Participant

Thanks for the responses, however it is not hammer, there is no bang in the pipes, just the water “stuttering” out. As for the washer idea, where would it be? It only happens with the shower fuacets, no other faucets in the house, and it happens to both shower faucets independently of each other.

Participant

Try calling moen tell them problem, you may need new cartridge in fcts

Participant

A water hammer is anything from a slight high pitched screem to a full on BANG BANG BANG in the pipes

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia.
                  Try visiting ….
                  Macadamia nuts and Aussie productsProstate cancer kills 2600 per/year in AustraliaEcommerce books

Participant

Not saying the softener is the problem, but…
                    Resin fines sometimes will clog your valves, sometimes to the point of zero flow.
                    Quick fix……turn off sink valve,(COLD) open faucet, Turn off Hot valve too
                    loosen stem nut above valve, (cold side).; use small bucket to catch water. let drain. open & close valve for any remaing water; examine water.
                    If any residue appears like Caviar fish eggs,
                    you’ve cleared it. reconnect stem, tighten nut.
                    remove air-rator. open valve; generally that air presure coupled with water will pop any remaing resin out. replace air-rator.
                    test system. If that fixed it, It’s normal to occur! You would require a sediment post filter
                    after the softener………………………..

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This