Pressure Regulating Valve

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Pressure Regulating Valve

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Avatar photoMark Randall Brasker

About a week ago, a new water heater was installed. Next day, I noticed intermittent dripping from the T&P valve. I understand it was high pressure because of thermal expansion. So, with a pressure guage, I checked the water pressure. The guage pegged out at 100. I lowered the pressure, now the tank doesn’t leak. However, I still get pressure reading at 100. Even tried a new guage that went to 300 psi. When I lower the pressure, visually it appears there is little force from the faucet and if you open a faucet while the guage is attached the pressure drops to under 30 psi. (Guages are good, I tested at the neighbors.) Usually, when I put the guage on it jumps to 50 or 60 then moves a little slower to 100. In other words, it looks like pressure is low, but I keep getting a high reading. Am I needing a PRV repair or replacement or a thermal expansion tank. Thanks….

Participant

You need a thermal expansion tank, that is their purpose to prevent such pressure rises.

Participant

Thanks… Is there a recommended brand or type I should ask the plumber about?

Participant

Yes, ask the plumber; good tanks are stocked by local suppliers based on which ones they have the least trouble with.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This