Well advice Needed by home owner???

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Well advice Needed by home owner???

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Heres my problem:

1 year old well

I have a 55′ deep well thats cased in 2″ pipe 50′ deep. The static water level is @ 20′. I have a Goulds 1 hp pump and a 20 gallon water tank. the water tank air pressure is set at 20lbs (cut in pressure) My problem started out being that the pump would take forever to shut off. So i took the pump and had it rebuilt. I got it home and put it back on and nothing had changed. SO i figured it had to be something to down inside the casing. So i pulled the inside pipe out which was 1-1/4 pipe and 48′ deep. I plan to replace everything from the pump down since i have it out. So my questions are as follows:

1. How deep do i put the “foot valve”?

2. What size pipe do i put down inside the casing?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thank You !

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
        Participant

needhelp. is your pump deep well or submersible?
          A 2″ casing sounds awfull small for either, given that the deep well injector head will be more than that & a submersible will have trouble as well.
          Why dont you engage a professional, after all that is their proffession.
          If your pump is working overtime to do the job, you will find the cost of the professional a cheap alternative to a new pump.
          Bob

Participant

The Well was put down by a professional and its been fine for the last year or so So all i need to know is how deep to put my foot valve. AS for the casing size i have checked around and a 2″ casing size is a normal for NC unless you have a deep well and thats a 4″ casing. My well is considered a shallow well. So i need to know deep to put my foot valve and what size pipe to put down into the well.

Thanks
            Anthony

» This message has been edited by needhelp2 on 21 November 2002

Participant

Sounds like you have a 2″ packer jet and
              TOO Much pump for the well. You should not change the setting depth of your foot valve. This will not increase the yield of the well. A 2″ cased well will not supply storage.
              You may have to drop back to a 1/2 HP pump to prevent “pump off” of the well.

Rick Morgan

Participant

Thanks for the reply, I set my foot valve at 12 feet below static water level. Well i guess its not realy a footy valve the place were i purchased it at called it a “jet sump” or something like that , It was a peice that screwed onto the end of my pipe , it was about 12-14″ in length . The check valve and the foot valve were together at the bottom of the new pipe i put in. The jet assembly had 2 leather o-rings that stopped the water from going back down past the assembly . The pump i have is a deep well set up. It pumps water down beside the pipe between the pipe and the casing @ 40 psi. This helps push the water up the pipe. So the Goulds pump i have sucks the water up and pushes it at the same time. I hope that makes sense, i could have mis-understood the man when he was telling me about it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Anthony

Participant

one more thing:
                  please explain to me what you mean by “pump off”

ANd

i think i have fixed my problem. While re-installing the pipe/footvalve. i noticed some standing water in a depression in my yard between the pump and the house so i dug it up and the pipe had came apart at a joint. So i fixed that and things seems to be fine, BUT the pump still takes a while to pump up. I went to the goulds web site and looked up my pump and it says that my pump should always run for at least 1 minute. My pump is a J-10s.

Thanks again everyone!!

Anthony

Participant

Sounds to me like you have a broken or leaking pipe joint somewhere’s along the line allowing air in or water out – check out your pipework before starting to repair pumping system.

Selgas Services Ltd
                    Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Ha ha – the time lag between our Countries has now taken place and I see you found the fracture – well done.

Selgas Services Ltd
                      Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This