Flushing on its own

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Flushing on its own

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have a toilet that flushes on its own. About every six hours approx. it does this. Please help me fix this.

Participant

Sounds like your flapper has to be replaced. Take some colored egg dye and put in tank and see if it leaks into the bowl.

Participant

I haven’t tried your suggest yet, but that makes logical sense. My only concern is that I just bought a whole new everything including the flapper. Is there a way to see if it can fit tighter or is this something that I need to pay attention for making sure that the flapper actually is going to fit my toilet if I were to buy a new one?

Participant

I just had this same problem. I bought a new toilet and the flush valve was not seated properly. If you don’t want to buy a new flapper, try this method to isolate the source of the leak. Shut the water off to the tank and mark the level of the water inside with a pencil. As the water recedes mark again. If it stops above the flapper then you probably need a new flapper. If it continues below the flapper most likely it will be the flush valve. Also, if the tank is not level, that could cause leakage.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This