Water Pressure Problems…Any Help is Appreciated!!!

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Water Pressure Problems…Any Help is Appreciated!!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I live in a 2 floor house built in 1930s… relatively new water line coming into the house (not galvinized iron pipe); i have all copper pipe in the house; 3/4 inch pipe throughout. PSI coming into the house is 40… one plumber i’ve spoken to says this is low, another says it’s average. nevertheless, my water pressure in the upstairs bathroom (shower & sink) is very low… it takes 17 seconds to fill a 1/2 gallon container… the outside hose fills same container in 6 seconds (and the basement hotwater line going into the washing machine also fills a 1/2 gallon in about 6 seconds)… thus, while i imagine i’d lose some pressure going to 2nd floor, i can’t imagine i’d lose that much… What else could be resposible?…ANY IDEAS???… is 40 PSI low??? also, is it possible that the fixtures may be responsible (i have Price Pfister fixtures)… Sorry for the long message, but i’m going crazy trying to figure this out!!! Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Participant

I tend to agree 40PSI inlet pressure to a residence is low and given that the property is two storied that makes it even worse. The higher you try and push the water up the poorer the water pressure and flow will become.
          It can be overcome by connecting a pressure pump at the house thereby increasing the “Head” or pressure for the household itself.
          It is possible that some of the fittings may be adding to your worries but I suspect it is more that the supply pressure is so low to start with.

Participant

Peter — thanks for your reply. i’m not that familiar with pressure pumps…. in my search of the net i came upon a site that advertised “pressure booster system” (www.pressurebooster.com)… Have you ever heard of this system? Thanks again for any response.

Participant

A pressure pump is just a simple pump usually connected to an electric motor which has an adjustable min and max pressure setting on it’s actuating switch. You can set it to your desired max working pressure and it will boost the town supply pressure from 40 psi up to want you have set it for.
              They are available from any good pump outlet store.

Selgas Services Ltd
              Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

I agree 40psi is on the low side but in a 2 storey house depending on stud height, the pressure loss between floors would only be between 4-5psi. Therefore is the pressure the problem or the flow? Is the problem at ALL outlets upstairs? If the pressure is maintained at 35psi upstairs but drops considerably when a faucet is opened there may be some restriction in the pipework or faucet.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This