underground water leak?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing underground water leak?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have shut off the main water supply valve in the house and the arrow on the meter still turns slowly. This just started happening as the weather began getting cooler. I had the water company come out and look at the meter and they say that it is working properly. There is an outside hydrant on the line in between the house and the meter, but I dug it up and there is no evidence of a leak at any of the connections. Our water meter is about 300 feet from the house. Is there any way to determine where the leak may be without digging up the entire yard first? I haven’t noticed any wet or sunken spots in the yard. Any chance that the meter really is bad? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Donnie
        [email protected]

Participant

Place some talcum powder in the toilets around the house and ensure they are not running into the bowl.

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia.
          Try visiting ….
          Macadamia nuts and Aussie productsProstate cancer kills 2600 per/year in AustraliaEcommerce books

Participant

you need to make sure your main valve is working. food coloring in the toilet tank will tell you if the flappers are seeping by. there is good equipment out there to locate this leak but it is expensive equipment. check your local plumbers to see if they have this equipment. also get a 3′ probe and probe along the water line and see if you come up with a wet probe somewhere. Hope this helps.

PRO/2002

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This