Drilled a hole in a PVC pipe

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Drilled a hole in a PVC pipe

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I accidentally drilled a nice 10 mm hole slightly off center of a (4 inch?) PVC drain-pipe about 40 mm up in the concrete ceiling. How do I fix it permanently? One plummer told me to cut a piece from another pipe with the same diameter and glue it on using a PVC glue called Tangit from Henkel. I tried that, but it still leaked a little. I have now removed the piece. Small amounts of water still drips from the hole, making it difficult to get dry. What about forcing in some kind of plug covered with silicone into the hole?

Participant

Try forcing lots of bread into the hole so you can stop the water long enough to fix the leak. The bread will come out of the taps afterwards with no problems

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia.
          Try visiting ….
          Macadamia nuts and Aussie productsProstate cancer kills 2600 per/year in AustraliaEcommerce books

Participant

Did you clean the pipe and the piece you are going to use as a patch with some thinner? If not use some thinner that is made to be used with the glue you are using.Be best not to use the drain for awhile before patching so the water will stop.Also dont use for awhile after patching.I think Bungie mis read the question.

Participant

Thanks for the tip with the bread. Could be useful if I can’t get it dry enough to fix.

Thanks also for the reminder to clean thoroughly. Tangit the glue-maker actually recommends its own cleaner.

What I need now is tips on how to actually plug the hole. I seem to be the first in the world to have made this particular mistake.

So far I have these tips:

1. Sandpaper around the hole and clean with Tangit cleaner, some kind of alcohol, thinner or acetone.

2. Possibly put some silicone in the hole, but avoid getting anything that will stick out in the pipe, as that will eventually clog the pipe.

3. Cut a piece from another PVC-pipe with the same diameter, sandpaper it, clean it as in (1) and glue it on using a PVC glue. Let dry for 24 hours before testing.

I’m curious as to why nobody suggests forcing a short plug with silicone on it into the hole, as it sounds to me as the ideal way to plug a circular hole.

I obviously need a solution that will keep tight for at least a generation, as I will build a new ceiling below this little thing. Will this piece of PVC glued on last forever?

Boy, do I wish I had aimed a few inches to the right…

Participant

cut a 1 bye 1 peese of cupling to fit ovre that hol wen yuo get the hol dry put cwarter by qwarter scotc tap then glu tha peese over tha hol

Participant

I did miss read it.

cut a piece of the same size pipe long enough to cover the hole and at least 3/4 inch each side of the hole. Split the pipe along the length. ensure the pipe with the hole is dry, use plenty of cleaner and then glue over the pipe. Open the new cut section of pipe so that it can be placed over the older piece and wrap its self around the old pipe. It will snap into place around the old pipe and seal as long as the old pipe was dry.

This can also be done using silicone instead on solvent cement.

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia.
                  Try visiting ….
                  Macadamia nuts and Aussie productsProstate cancer kills 2600 per/year in AustraliaEcommerce books

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This